Making Your Faucet and Shower Heads Sparkle

The shower head in my bathroom has been bothering me for some time, possibly years. The spouts where the water comes out were coated in black crustiness and it wouldn't come off with my regular bathroom cleaner. Yesterday, I decided it was time to tackle the grime and the results were beyond my expectations.


As you can see from the picture, the shower head looks like new. All I did was pour about 1/3 cup of white vinegar into a sandwich-sized Ziploc bag and submerge the shower head into the vinegar. Then I wrapped a twisty tie around the bag and neck of the shower head to keep it in place for a few hours. When I came back to check on it, almost all the grime had come off on its own and what remained only required the lightest of touch from an old toothbrush to be removed.

Since then, I've also cleaned the faucet on our bathroom sink. I didn't see what it looked like before, but after I removed the vinegar-filled Ziploc bag and scrubbed it with a brush, black liquid dripped down from it. It was probably pretty grimy and due for a cleaning, given that we use that sink for brushing our teeth and washing our faces.

So that's it, easy peasy ... vinegar and time will do the trick. I've also used a vinegar-soaked cotton ball to clean the rust off my stovetop knobs, after removing the plastic knob. That took a few soaks with different cotton balls because there was so much rust build-up.

Another time, I cleaned my wooden floors with a cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in a gallon of warm water. It removed the sticky black goo from my floor that no amount of scrubbing with other cleaners managed to take off. It also left my floors residue-free and feeling super clean under our feet ... it had never felt that way before. It's such a relief to finally have that shower head clean, I'm going through my whole house now and doing this for all the faucets.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts