Making Your Shower Heads Sparkle: Revisited

About a month ago, I wrote a post on how to get your faucets and shower heads to sparkle (read it here). Two of the shower heads in my house are of the rainfall variety and even the gallon-sized Ziploc bag wouldn't fit over them. I waited until this week to tackle them.

After Soaking in Vinegar

I found a heavy duty, plastic shopping bag with a wide enough opening to fit over the shower heads. Filled it a good amount with white vinegar, and used a twisty tie to secure the bag over the shower head. I let it sit overnight and you can see the result above ... lots of black gunk around each water spout.

OXO Deep Clean Brush Set

The brush I used to clean the shower head after soaking it in vinegar is shown above. It is from OXO and can be found here. Most of the crud came right off with a light brushing and you can see all the detritus and results in the pictures below.

After First Soak and Scrubbing

With Gunk Rinsed Off

After the first round of soaking, scrubbing, and rinsing, I felt that it wasn't quite as clean as it could be, so I repeated all the steps again. This time, I also used a pot-safe Scotch-Brite sponge to get more coverage. You can see the final result below.

After Two Rounds of Cleaning

There's definitely still some build-up that you can see on the upper left corner of the picture. I'm not sure if this was an area where the vinegar didn't quite reach because the bag was heavy and started drooping, or maybe it needs a different approach. Either way, I decided it was good enough for now and can be addressed in a future cleaning. Much improved from where it started!

Comments

Popular Posts