House Cleaning Schedule

As I wrote about in a post from 6 weeks ago, we discontinued using a cleaning service and I started cleaning our house myself. There is a lot to do and I find that having the schedule laid out in an Excel file helps keep me organized and on track. You can see my current schedule below.


Original 2 Week Schedule
At first, I started with a 2 week rotating schedule. However, this resulted me in cleaning some things more often than they really needed. For example, my husband usually showers at work and so our master bath shower only gets used on the weekends since I prefer to shower in our guest bath. So the master bath could really go longer without cleaning.

Transition to 4 Week Schedule
My husband suggested that I cut back on cleaning the master bath shower to once a month since that is equivalent to a week's usage. That made sense to me, and got me thinking of other tasks that could be done monthly. Coming out of that thought process, I revamped the cleaning schedule to be a 4 week rotation, with some tasks occurring weekly.

On the bottom of the spreadsheet, you can see my short list of extra things to be done as needed. I would add cleaning the oven to this list, but I have that in our Google calendar as a quarterly chore. I also keep track of my meal plan in this file and that helps me make the grocery list for the week.

In Closing
This schedule is still relatively new and will likely require some tweaking as I continue to use it. I've found this useful for making sure that nothing gets missed. Sometimes when you see the same thing every day, you can become blind to it ... like dust accumating on your dresser. It's the visual equivalent of the Febreze commercial that asks if you've gone nose blind to the stench in your home. Speaking on which, I do like to spray a little Febreze in the room after I'm done cleaning and on the occassions I remember. It's a nice way to cap off a completed task (and something I read about in, "The Power of Habit").

Comments

Popular Posts