When to Introduce Your Kids to Harry Potter

If you've been following this blog, you know that we got back from 6 nights at Universal Orlando last week. In preparation for the trip, I wanted to at least get my kids somewhat familiar with the world of Harry Potter. So a few months ago, we took the plunge and watched, "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone."


My kids are only 5 years old, so I wasn't sure if the ending with Voldemort would be too scary for them. My daughter enjoyed it thoroughly, and they both found the scene when Nearly Headless Nick's head flops off his neck to be hilarious. In fact, my son uses that imagery to change the conversation in his mind when he's having recurring sad thoughts. Read more here.

The parts that bothered my son more were the ones with high emotional tension, like when Draco takes Neville's Remembrall and plays keepaway during their first flying lesson. Or when Harry sees his parents in the Mirror of Erised. We watched the movie in two sittings to take a break from the emotional intensity.

Other than that, the viewings went smoothly. I definitely think we need to wait longer before watching the other movies or reading the subsequent books. The first movie did its job of acquainting the kids with the characters and world of Harry Potter, so they kind of "got it" when we visited Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade at Universal Orlando. To read more about our experience at Universal Orlando, click on the links below.

Comments

Popular Posts